Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Christmas, and Snow!

Well, our Christmas break started off with a bang! Will and his friends Tyler and Justin decided that they were going to go to Boone snowboarding on the 22rd of December and return on Christmas Eve. OK, well, I wasn't thrilled about it, mainly because I was 5:00 in the morning and made it just fine. I was going out to eat that evening with some girls to Riverside for dinner. My cell rang about 6:30, it was Abby  (friend of Will and Tyler's) she said she was with Will at the ER. Time sort of stopped right then as I struggled to listen... I think my brain was buzzing or something. Will had fallen while snowboarding and had hit his head. He has had 2 previous concussions so I was a bit worried. Abby assured me that he seemed fine, but they were going to take him back in a bit for a CT scan. She said when she got the doctor, she would call me. At this point, dinner with the girls was off. I called Diana to let her know what was going on  and promised that I would keep in touch with her. Abby called back several times to ask about allergies, and things and I finally spoke to the doctor at 8:00. She said there was no swelling or bleeding or fracture and that he seemed OK. I asked if they could possibly keep him for the night since he would be going back to an apartment with young adults and I would feel better if he had someone to watch him. She didn't seem to think we needed to go to Boone (5 1/2 hour drive). So, I continued trying to call Will's girlfriend, Jordan to let her know he was in the hospital, and continued to update family on his status. The phone rang again around 10:15 that night and it was a different Doctor. This was from the attending surgeon, he related what had happened since 8:00. Will had taken a turn for the worse, confused, talking out of his head and combative. They were waiting on a neurological consult and contemplating taking him to Winston or Charlotte since they couldn't handle a major brain injury. I got really scared when he said that he may have permanent brain damage. We got Ward, Jordan and piled into the car and started our trip to Boone. We left home at 11:00 pm and arrived at the hospital at 4:30 am. Long long car ride. Thank goodness for the ICU nurse that was in charge of Will. I called her every hour, and I prayed. I prayed that the Lord would not make him better, not make him OK, but that he would be exactly the same person that left my house the day before. At 1:45, the nurse told me that he had answered questions with yes or no. That was a small light.... I was thrilled. Next hour, no change. Then at 3:45 , the nurse said he sat up and had to go to the bathroom, he knew his name and his age, and where he was. WOO HOO!!! We got there and he was sleepy, but woke up enough to say hey. At 6:30, he rolled over and saw Jordan and I heard "hey Jordan". That was music to my ears! The Doctors came in and couldn't believe how well he was doing. They both said that they were shocked that it was the same kid they had seen the night before. Apparently he scored really low on his neurological score the night before. They told us that they were going to let us go home. He had to get up and walk around and eat something, but by 11am we were on our way back to Swansboro. Quite a busy 24 hours!! But, the best Christmas present was that he was back to normal, although I will say a bit sweeter.... hope it lasts! The rest of our break was pretty non-eventful. We had snow the day after Christmas which was nice, stayed in my pj's all day! Back to school on the 3rd. All was great that first week. Then snow again on Sunday, January 9th and two missed days of school to make up!! Boo Hiss!!!!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're so interesting! I don't think I have read through anything like that before.
So good to discover another person with some unique
thoughts on this subject matter. Seriously.. thank you
for starting this up. This site is something that is needed
on the internet, someone with a bit of originality!

See this: http://E-Horoskopdzienny.pl, http:
//horoskop.wordpressy.pl/
My webpage :: http://E-Horoskopdzienny.pl